Monday, February 04, 2008

What's in a Name?

Sewphisticate at gLp Designs blogged the other day about "What's in a Name?"

It got me to thinking about that. I am named severally! My first name is a very traditional name for women in my family - it is old, beautiful and Biblical. My mother, her mother, and several cousins and aunts all with the same name - and all used the various diminutives of it!!!

My middle name was my grandfather's first name - a typical Southern USA thing, to give a girl her father or grandfather's name as her middle name - and then call her by that name1! As it happens, however, my mother's favorite book character was The Little Colonel! So I guess, in a way, I was named after her: Elizabeth Lloyd! And called Lloyd until I was 15 when I finally rebelled and insisted on a new nickname. I became "Windy" - and it was most appropriate, believe me! "Who's coming down the streets of the city? Wearing a dress that is lighter than air? ... Everyone knows that it's Windy!" Yeah! That's who I was - and still am!

Professionally, I'm Elizabeth.

Socially, I'm either Elizabeth or Windy.

Husband says he always knows what "era" of my life people knew me by what they call me - Lloyd, Windy, Elizabeth or Dr. Elizabeth!

What's in a name? Depends on when and what you want!

No comments: